$2.70 per serving
- 3 ripe tomatoes, quartered ($3.00)
- 1 red pepper, chopped ($.60)
- 2 carrots, chopped ($.10)
- 4 tablespoons tahini ($.80)
- 4 dates ($.40)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
- juice of one lime ($.50)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons celery, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
This soup makes a beautiful color that is cheerful any time of year. Meatier tomatoes, such as Romas, make a thicker soup and are ideal if you can find them. If not, just look for the freshest tomato available. I used frozen tomatoes from the summer garden, which worked out really well.
In a blender, puree the tomatoes, red pepper, carrots, tahini, dates, chipotle, and lime juice until very smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with minced celery and add a little swirl of olive oil, if desired.
Optional: If you like a thicker and even bolder soup, put the quartered tomatoes and chopped red peppers in the dehydrator for an hour or so before making the soup!
nutritional information: calories: 262 fat: 15 gr carbs: 26 gr protein: 10 gr