Awesome Rawsome Applesauce
serves 4 ~ $1.50 per serving
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and chopped ($5.00)
- 8 dates (soaked if necessary) ($.80)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice ($.20)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
In a food processor fitted with an "S" blade, process all ingredients until mostly smooth and saucy. Let it go a little longer if you like smoother applesauce, and less if you're in the mood for chunky. That's it. Any leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days.
nutritional information: calories: 298 fat: 0 gr carbs: 85 gr protein: 1 gr
2 servings ~ $1.52 per serving
- 1 avocado ($1.49)
- 1 cup nut milk ($.40)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 onion ($.25)
- 1 clove garlic ($.10)
- 1/2 red bell pepper ($.40)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (pepitas) ($.30)
- 1 tsp olive oil ($.10)
- salt and pepper to taste
Avocado soups are among my favorite raw soups, and the options are pretty much endless.
For this soup, which makes two large servings, place a peeled avocado, nut milk, water, half the onion, and the clove of garlic in a blender. Puree until very smooth.
Add the chopped onion and pepper, and sprinkle with pepitas. Salt and pepper to taste, and add an optional drizzle of olive oil.
nutritional information: calories: 301 fat: 21 gr carbs: 28 gr protein: 6 gr
serves 2 ~ $1.95 per serving
- 1/2 head romaine ($.95)
- dandelion and other greens
- 3/4 lb strawberries ($1.12)
- 6 radishes ($.30)
- 1 medium onion ($.05)
- 1 avocado ($.88)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ($.20)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar ($.20)
- 2 tablespoons agave ($.20)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Chop the romaine and greens. Toss with the onion, radish, strawberries, and avocado. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, agave, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. If you'd like the dressing emulsified, add the oil slowly as you whisk. Spoon over salads.
nutritional information: calories: 449 fat: 37 gr carbs: 51 gr protein: 6 gr
Chocolate Orange Truffles
three truffles per serving ~ $.38 per truffle
- 2 cups almonds ($5.00)
- 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped ($3.00)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder ($1.00)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ($.05)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract ($.05)
- Cocoa powder for rolling
- In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the almonds until finely ground. This takes about a minute.
- Add in the pitted and chopped dates, cocoa powder, vanilla and orange extract.
- Process again until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out even sized balls, and roll between hands to shape.
- For the final finish, roll each truffle lightly in cocoa powder.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Makes about 24 truffles.
nutritional information: calories: 315 fat: 18 gr carb: 36 gr protein: 9 gr
Total cost for the day: $6.49
total calories: 1,126
total fat: 74 gr
total carb: 200 gr
total protein: 22 gr
total protein: 22 gr