4 servings ~ $.73 per serving
I love soaked and dehydrated buckwheat groats. They get crisp and puffy and light, like the puffed rice remember in chocolate Crunch bars. Maybe that's why I always associate them with chocolate! Anyway, this makes a great and fun breakfast that will give you energy and keep you full all morning.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats, soaked ($.75)
- 2 ripe bananas ($.30)
- 3 tbsp coco or cacao powder ($.15)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla ($.10)
- 1/2 tsp salt1/2 cup almond milk ($.40)
- Rinse one cup buckwheat groats and then soak in about two cups water for 5-6 hours or overnight. Rinse the buckwheat groats well. There will be a gooey or gelatinous coating on the groats and and they will need to be rinsed several times.
- Once rinsed, drain well and pat with a towel to remove most of the water.In a food processor with the S blade, add the banana, cocoa or cacao powder, vanilla and salt.
- Process for a minute or two until very creamy.
- Fold into the buckwheat groats.
- Then spread the mixture in clusters about 1/4 inch thick on the teflex or plastic sheets in a dehydrator. Dehydrate for about 4 hours, then turn over and dehydrate for another 2-3 hours, until the clusters are dry but pliable.
- They don't seem to get brittle dry, but stay a little bit pliable.
- Break up into smaller clumps. These can then be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. Serve with 1/2 cup almond milk.