Caramel Apple Pie … Perfect for the Holidays!
A bit of lemon juice in the filling gives a slight tartness but also prevents the apples from turning brown.
I’ve used maple syrup here. I much prefer it now over agave. It’s delicious and minimally processed, but it’s not raw. Use it at your own discretion.
Of course, the spices are what makes this over the top delicious. I used an off the shelf pumpkin pie spice and some extra cinnamon for this one. But you can make your own pumpkin pie spice blend. Here’s an easy one.
Raisins are in the filling and in the crust and make this super sweet and tasty.
Walnuts and raisins are processed together to make a healthy and oh so easy crust.
Almond butter makes a sweetly delicious and creamy caramel filling when blended with maple syrup and dates.
Caramel Apple Pie Raw Food Vegan Recipe
- Food Processor
- Dehydrator (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts $3.00
- 1 cup raisins $1.00
- 5 apples, peeled and sliced $3.00
- 1/2 cup raisins $.50
- 1/4 cup maple syrup $.40
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice $.40
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice $.10
- 1/3 cup almond butter $.80
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup $.40
- 6 dates
- 3 tablespoons water or plant milk or more for blending
- Peel and slice the apples into pieces about 1/8 in thick.
- In a lidded container (I used a zip lock box), toss the apples and 1/2 cup raisins with the agave, lemon juice, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice until well coated.
- Spread out on a lined dehydrator sheet and dry for about 2 hours, stirring once or twice. This isn't meant to dry the apples, but to soften them and let the flavor intensify.
- In a food processor fitted with the "S" blade, process the walnuts and one cup raisins until the mix starts to stick together. This takes a couple of minutes.
- Press the mix into the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of an 8-inch springform pan.
- Put in the freezer for a half-hour to firm.
- In a bullet type blender, puree the almond butter, agave, olive oil, and water until very smooth.
- Spoon the apple mixture from the dehydrator into the chilled pie crust and pour the caramel evenly on top.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- This is delicious served with a scoop of vanilla n'ice cream!
Follow us on Pinterest!!
A note from me … Raw on $10 a Day is back. I’m adding new content while slowly updating posts so bear with me. I’m glad to be back! I missed you!