Februrary 12, 2012
Strawberry Flax Smoothie
serves 2 ~ $1.28 per serving
over 140% of the daily value of omega 3 fatty acids. These fatty acids
can protect against diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer, and
also decrease inflammation. Because the nutrients in flax seeds are
better absorbed when ground ~ and a lot more palatable! ~ I’ve used the
ground seeds in this recipe.
- 2 bananas, frozen and sliced ($.50)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries ($1.00)
- 4 tablespoons flax seeds, ground ($.40)
- 1 cup almond milk ($.45)
- a few almonds, chopped
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and puree until very smooth.
- Garnish with a few chopped almonds, if desired.
nutrition information, per serving
calories: 308 fat: 11 gr carb: 55 protein: 7 gr
coconut oil, agave, cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt until it’s a very
smooth, slightly thick sauce. I made mine with 3 tablespoons cocoa
powder, which makes a really dark sauce. For less chocolatey-ness (but
who wants that!?), use less … 2 tablespoons would be good, I think,
but it’s a “to taste” thing.
convenient. I sliced and marinated the veggies the night before and let
them sit in the fridge until lunch the next day and just tossed them in
with the spinach.
onions thinly into a lidded container, I use a zip lock box. Whisk
together the olive oil, lemon juice, agave, and garlic and pour over the
veggies. Put the lid on and shake to distribute the dressing well. Put
in the fridge for a few hours or up to two days. Toss with a generous
helping of spinach, some chopped or whole walnuts, salt and pepper, and
a bit of the marinade.
delectable enough that Alexandria couldn’t resist trying to sneak a
taste, even while I was taking pics of it. It’s also a tasty way to up
your protein intake if you find you’re getting a little low.
smooth. Add more hemp milk, if necessary for ease of blending. Then,
process in an ice cream maker until firm. If an ice cream maker is
unavailable, either drink as a shake (I love it this way), or pour into a
container and freeze for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Top with
the chopped cashews, cacao nibs, and sliced strawberries.
meatballs first. In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process
the walnuts and raisins until the mix begins to stick together. Form
into balls just slightly smaller than a tablespoon each and set aside.
a small or bullet type blender, puree the strawberries and agave until
very smooth. Slice and mango into noodles and mound on plates. Add some
coconut flakes. Place the meatballs on top and pour the strawberry sauce
it’s usually thought of as a guilty pleasure rather than a healthy
indulgence. However, there are health benefits to be had from chocolate,
especially when the unhealthy ingredients are left out.
Did you know?
has more antioxidants than blueberries, green tea, and red wine, and
nearly eight times the antioxidants found in strawberries.
Dark chocolate has been shown to lower high blood pressure and LDL cholesterol.
Cacao contains antibacterial agents that fight tooth decay.
chocolate triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s endogenous
opiates and the feel good chemicals responsible for the “runner’s high.”
By weight, cocoa powder has more protein than eggs.
This is a great way to get some antioxidants and share a yummy dessert with a friend!
- 1/2 cup cashews ($1.00)
- 1/2 cup raisins ($.75)
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder ($.80)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla ($.05)
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil ($.10)
- 1 tablespoon agave ($.20)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder ($.40)
shredded coconut for topping
- In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the cashews until finely ground and powdery (but not oily).
- Add the raisins, cacao powder, vanilla, and salt, and process again until the mixture starts sticking together.
- Press the brownie mixture firmly into the mold of your choice. I
used a rectangular miniature tart pan with a removable bottom. Release
onto a plate.
- For the frosting, stir together the coconut oil, agave, and cacao powder until smooth.
- Spread on brownie and top with coconut flakes.
- Find a special friend to share it with!
calories: 429 fat: 25 gr carb: 55 gr protein: 10 gr