Raw Food Recipe Menu: February 10, 2013
- 1 beet, peeled and chopped ($.50)
- 2 cups frozen strawberries ($1.20)
- 4 bananas, sliced and frozen ($.80)
- 2 cups almond milk ($.90)
- a few drops stevia, optional
The magenta color of beets is one of my favorites, and they taste super
sweet paired with fruit. In a blender, puree all ingredients until very
smooth. I added a few beet shavings to the top.
Beet and Carrot Salad
serves 2 ~ $2.85 per serving
- 2 beets, sliced ($1.20)
- 3 carrots, sliced ($.40)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ($.20)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice ($.40)
- 2 tablespoons agave ($.20)
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 5 ounces spinach ($2.29)
- 1/4 cup walnuts ($1.00)
- salt and pepper
This salad is really convenient. I sliced and marinated the veggies the night before and let them sit in the fridge until lunch the next day and just tossed them in with the spinach.
Slice the beets, carrots, and onions thinly into a lidded container, I use a zip lock box. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, agave, and garlic and pour over the veggies. Put the lid on and shake to distribute the dressing well. Put in the fridge for a few hours or up to two days. Toss with a generous helping of spinach, some chopped or whole walnuts, salt and pepper, and a bit of the marinade.
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms ($2.50)
- 1 medium onion, sliced ($.10)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 tablespoon olive oil ($.30)
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar ($.30)
- 3 tablespoon agave ($.30)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 red bell peppers ($3.00)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice (or 1 1/5 cup cauliflower “rice”) ($1.00)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ($.10)
- 1 tablespoon agave ($.10)
- pinch cayenne
In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and agave. Add the mushrooms, onion, and carrot and toss to coat. Spread out on a lined dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 115 degrees for about two hours, or until softened and a bit darker in color.
Mix the dehydrated mushroom mix with cooked wild rice or raw cauliflower rice. (Make cauliflower rice by processing cauliflower in a food processor fitted with an “S” blade … process until the cauliflower is chopped into tiny, rice sized pieces.) Then, add the olive oil, agave, and a pinch of cayenne, and stir to combine.
Cut the tops off the bell peppers, and clean out the inside. Spoon in the rice and mushroom mix. Serve as is, or dehydrate further until the pepper softens. This can be done in an oven set on low with the door left ajar.
- 1/2 cup almonds (or cashews) ($1.00)
- 1/2 cup raisins ($.50)
- 1/2 cup cashews ($1.00)
- 1/4 cup water for blending
- 3 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder (or carob powder) ($.60)
- 3 tablespoons agave ($.60)
- pinch salt
- In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, process the almonds and raisins until the mixture begins to stock together.
- Press the mix into the bottom and sides of two five inch tart pans, or plastic wrap lined cupcake tins, to form the crust.
- In a small blender, puree the water and almonds until very smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.
- Divide between the two crusts and fill to the top.
- Add some chopped almonds as a topping, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, to allow the tarts to cool and firm.
total protein: 35 gr