Super Nutrient Spotlight: Omega-3 Fatty Acids & Omega-3 Power Smoothie Recipe
Everyone’s heard of “Omega-3s,” more officially known as omega-3 fatty acids. We all know they’re essential and we need them, right? But what the heck are they, really, and why are they so important?
Omega-3 fatty acids are
1. absolutely necessary; extremely important.
Omega-3s can help:
- Lower Triglicerides
- Lower Blood Pressure
- Decrease Homocysteine Levels
- Improve Depression and Mood
- Improve Cognitive Function and Prevent Dementia
- Lessen Rheumatoid Arthritis and Asthma
- Reduce Inflammation Throughout the Body
- Reduce Cardiac Deaths
- Reduce Stroke
- Alleviate Insulin Resistance and Fatty Liver Disease
And they’re even more effective when there is adequate Vitamin-D intake.
OK … But do they taste good???
Omega-3s can be found in some rather delicious plant foods. Such as …
Flax Seeds and Flax Oil
Hemp Seeds and Hemp Protein Powders
Omega-3s are also fairly abundant in many leafy greens, with spinach having an omega 6:3 ratio of 1:5.
Here’s a chart of Omega-3 ratios for the best sources of this vital nutrient.
Has this made you hungry for some yummy Omega-3s? I have the perfect smoothie recipe for you! It will fill you up, give you essential nutrients including Omega-3s, and won’t break the bank!
Raw Food Recipe: Omega-3 Power Smoothie
makes one serving ~ $2.35 per serving
- 2 handfuls spinach ($.60)
- 2 handfuls kale ($.60)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds ($.10)
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds ($.20)
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped ($.05)
- 1 banana, sliced into one inch pieces and frozen ($.20)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries ($.60)
- 1 cup water
- Place all ingredients into a blender and puree until very smooth.
nutritional information: calories: 370 fat: 7 gr carbs: 48 gr protein: 8 gr
Gr8 post well worth blogging about!
Thanks, Cosmic … Omega-3s are important! 🙂
great post! i've been getting the omega-3's in with hemp and flax seeds.
Thanks Kelli! Hope you're well and staying warm, too!
I just posted a smoothie recipe featuring chia and hemp. Too funny! Check it out.
Peace & Raw Health,